Today is a very special day as we are celebrating the 94th birthday of our beloved Nelson Mandela!
As part of the birthday celebrations it is customary to give up just 67 minutes today doing something good so as to make sure his legacy lives on forever! Wow, its amazing how one man can influence the world in the way he has.
I found this awesome video from the Springboks (South Africa’s rugby team) singing Happy birthday to this wonderful man…
So what can you do to make this day special? 67 minutes is really not that long! So, instead of saying I don’t know what to do look at these 8 simple ideas:
1. During your lunch break go and buy some tinned foods and hand them out, or even better make some sandwiches and hand them out to beggars.
2. After work go to a children’s hospital and spend some time with them! The Friends of the Children’s Hospital Association are looking for help. Contact (Tel: +27 (0)21 658 5243)
3. Go and plant a tree!
4. Go visit the elderly at an old age home
5.When you get home de-clutter and give away!
6.Blikkiesdorp Call to Action Project – The Boundless Heart Foundation, the non-profit organisation are looking for volunteers to assist in the painting of homes and murals, to plant some trees and vegetable gardens, to assist with the launch of a library, and to get involved in a read-a-thon. Contact Andrew at email@example.com for more info. ( 08:30 until 16:30)
7. You see that homeless man or women on the road selling newspapers? Buy one!
8. Help out at your local animal shelter. Bring some food along, walk some dogs, cuddle some cats, and maybe even adopt one?
And remember, just because its not Mandela day everyday, it doesn’t mean you cant do something good all the time! 🙂
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcw/2617374624/”>p_c_w</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photo pin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/”>cc</a>